Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Beth Reads

Sometimes I can sit still long enough to read and comprehend what I'm reading.  But, it doesn't happen very often.  Here's what I've been enjoying most recently in the way of books:


Read this book cover to cover in one sitting or use as a bathroom reader (or both!).  It is just what its title suggests:  a collection of six-word memoirs.  How would you describe your life in six words?

By the way, my first knitting publication is going to have the same title, Not Quite What I Was Planning.  Unless, of course, that would be a copyright infringement!


2.   The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick 

The story revolves around the secret life of a young boy.  The book was written for 9-12 yr olds, but I think most adults will enjoy it too.   Believe the author when he says that the book is "not exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things."  

Did you clutch a black and white notebook as you explored alleys in your neighborhood after reading  Harriet The Spy?  Were you ready to move into an art museum after reading From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?  If so, you'll be ready for another exciting adventure after reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I loved both Harriet the spy and the mixed up files...I must read your recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations! They both sound great!