Thursday, February 7, 2008

MY SP Wants to Know

My secret pal really gets around (and changes handwriting from town to town -- hmmmm. . .). Postmarks so far from San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Boston. . . I'm waiting for Duluth, or how about my favorite town, Durand, Wisconsin? Oh, but where was I . . . right. SP wants to know "What are your three favorite things you've ever knit?" I've been mulling this over, and I'm not sure I can answer. My current favorite is the big purple mitered square blanket, appearing here. After that, I really don't know. . . maybe the Norwegian sweater, with an all-over pattern of stars, that I knit for my boyfriend the fall after I graduated from college. Having never done colorwork before. I loved that project. No one told me it might be hard, and it was just beautiful. And then. . . well, I just don't know. Possibly Bill's "elf" hat -- navy blue with 1-inch stripes in all the colors of the rainbow. He won't wear wool, and my hands don't like working with cotton (ouch) or acrylic (squeak squeak squeak) so it's the only thing I've made for him. I gave it to him for Christmas 2005, and he wore it all day, and he's worn it every day from November through March since then (not at work, just while getting there and back). I think he might get a new one next year. It's more about matching the project to the recipient for me than about virtuoso knitting. And since a good deal of my knitting time comes late at night, autopilot is usually the best kind. Not to say I don't have ideas about magnificent, complex achievements -- just maybe not this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a picture of the elf hat? I'd love to see what it looks like! It sounds like it was a lot of fun to knit.

Beth said...

So, what yarn did you end up using for the elf hat? I'd love to see it sometime.