Sunday, January 13, 2008

more than you wanted to know about Elizabeth

Hmmmm. . . no camera capability yet, so I can't do an appealing artsy shot like Pat's. (I think I'd need a few years of practice anyway, so that's just as well.)

OK, secret pal, here are answers to questions. You all know I like knitting! And I have a lot of stuff, and plenty to share, but that doesn't mean I don't like new things. . . I confess to serial abuse of my Jo-Ann Fabric coupons in the book section, so I already have pretty much everything that I want, so I'd advise steering clear of that. I like smooth yarns more than textured or fluffy yarns (although KidSilk Haze is highly acceptable). And, like Marsha, I'd never reject Koigu. . .Natural fibers. And please! No sock yarn, unless it's something new and wonderful. Lantern Moon straight single-pointed needles, 10-inch length, ebony preferred, sizes 4 and 7, are high on my list of wants. . .

I don't collect anything.

Favorite colors? I'm hopelessly out of style. I love virtually all shades of red, green, and blue; most purples; and nearly all grays. Cannot abide mustard tones. Take them away!!!! I prefer clear and "jewel" tones rather than spice tones, but I do recommend that all of you get a good look at Kristin Knits, by Kristin Nicholas (I'll try to bring it on Thursday). If I could start with an empty house, I'd design it to look a lot like Carl Larsson -- or maybe Simon Pearce -- had drawn it.

I love to read. Favorite book is The Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm a good cook, but I find that the kind of cooking you have to do every single day is very wearing. I own loads of cookbooks.

Favorite music? Bach, hands down. Also, Cuban, Cajun, Celtic, Franco-American, folk in general; Renaissance [the era], lots of jazz but not the Sun Ra kind, um. . . . Self-indulgent singer songwriters? uh-uh. I like to sit at folk festivals and knit.

Favorite place to be? On the beach, preferably in Maine but any beach will do, especially in the winter.

I like most teas, and I love coffee. But never, ever dark roast. And not flavored -- cinnamon coffee makes me feel like I have dirt in my mouth, and all the others are just too sweet. Yup, I drink it black. I like mild, full coffee flavors. Ground for a Melitta drip filter.

Preferred chocolate? I know I'm "supposed" to express a preference for dark chocolate, but alas, I like milk chocolate better. I know, I'm terminally unhip. Best? One dark Wilbur bud and one milk chocolate Wilbur bud, eaten at the same time.

Fragrances? Can't use scented candles -- Bill is highly allergic. I do buy handmade soaps to fulfill my need for things that smell good. Favorite types of scents would be in the lavender/rosemary/lemon range. I loathe patchouli. The only floral scent I like -- and I love it -- is rose.

Gina, forgive me, but I'm not fond of cats. . .

If I were to pick the animals on my totem pole, they'd be elephant, penguin, flamingo, polar bear, frog, and rabbit. I'm sure this says something very odd about me.

Enough, already, Elizabeth -- how long do you think these people are going to keep reading??

P.S. One more thing -- if you are my giftee, you know I live in a different area. How shall I surprise you without revealing my zip code? I work during the day, and Bill's not home until late at night, so sneaking out to leave things on your doorstep isn't gonna work for me. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, if you're worrying about that zip code might reveal your identity, there are a few alternatives to mailing a package from your home zip code. One is to mail a package from another zip code (perhaps Bill could stop by another post office while out during the day?). Another is to send no snail-mail to your downstream pal but to deliver a package in person at our reveal party.

Gina said...

I loathe patchouli too. Yuck.

Elizabeth D said...

Ah, but what if I'm the only one who doesn't send anything via snail mail? Then she'll know. . .

Um, Bill can't cope with the concept of mailing a letter in the mailbox at the corner outside his building. [I am not exaggerating.] Asking him to stop at an unfamiliar post office might just do him in. . .but I do know someone I can ask. Can you send mail from the PO w/ no return address these days?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you can't mail any package without a return address. The post office workers will really hassle you if you try.

You can mail regular letters with a return address, I think.

Katie J said...

I have more cookbooks than I'll ever use in a lifetime, but I so enjoy them.